|Note: Saved Views are now accessed and managed via the Library.
Saved views, which are viewed in the Library section of the Kentik Detect portal, are covered in the following topics:
A saved view is a collection of Data Explorer settings, including the settings of the sidebar panes (see Portal Sidebars). Views are saved with the Save View button at the top of the chart display area (see Explorer Chart Display) and represent the state of Data Explorer at the time that the button is clicked. Saving the view allows you to reapply all of the settings at a later time.
Saved views are accessed and managed via the Library (see Portal Library). To open the Library, choose Library from the Kentik Detect navbar. Saved views are listed on the Library tab along with other view types (dashboards and reports) and are indicated with the icon shown at right. A context menu for each view enables you to modify, delete, or clone that view (see List Item Context Menu).
Saved views may be viewed in one of two ways:
- Displayed in the display area of the Library itself.
- Loaded into Data Explorer via the Open in Data Explorer button (see Saved View Display Controls). When a saved view is loaded into Data Explorer, the view’s settings are applied to the panes of the sidebar and the contents (e.g. graph and table) of the display area are automatically updated.
Saved View visibility determines which users have access to a given saved view:
- Private: Views that you save only for your own personal use. No one else has access.
- Shared: Views saved by any user in your organization. All users in your organization have access.
The Saved Views page has been removed from the Kentik Detect portal. Saved views are now accessed via the Portal Library.
The dialogs used to set the properties of a saved view are covered in the following topics:
Saved view properties are managed with the following dialogs:
- Add Saved View: Used to define the properties of a new saved view. This dialog is opened when you click the Save View button in Data Explorer (see Chart Display UI).
- Saved View Properties: Used to modify the properties of an existing saved view. This dialog is opened when you choose the Properties option on the List Item Context Menu).
The Add Saved View and Saved View Properties dialogs share the same layout and the following common UI elements:
- Close button: Click the X in the upper right corner to close the dialog. All elements will be restored to their values at the time the dialog was opened.
- Remove button (Saved View Properties dialog only): Remove the Saved View from your organization’s collection of Kentik-registered Saved Views. This button is only present if the Saved View being edited was manually added.
- Cancel button: Cancel the add Saved View or edit Saved View operation and exit the dialog. All elements will be restored to their values at the time the dialog was opened.
- Add Saved View button (Add Saved View dialog only): Save settings for the new Saved View and exit the dialog.
- Save button (Saved View Properties dialog only): Save changes to Saved View settings and exit the dialog.
The properties of a saved view are set with the fields of the Add Saved View dialog when a view is first saved (see Saving a View), and may be subsequently edited in the Saved View Properties dialog (see Editing a View). The properties are described in the following table:
||Required: A user-specified descriptive name for the view.
||Optional: Any text added by the user to explain the characteristics and utility of the view.
Note: The more informative your description is, the easier it will be for team members to determine how the view might be useful.
||Optional: Choose a category that the view will belong to in the Library (see View Categories).
||Required: One of the following, which determines which collection the view is part of in the Library tab:
- Private: view will be available only to you.
- Shared: view will be available company wide.
The management of Saved Views is covered in the following topics:
To save the current Data Explorer settings as a new saved view:
- At the top of the Data Explorer display area (see Chart Display UI) click the Save View button.
Note: The Save View button is only available when current settings have been applied (Run Query button).
- In the resulting Add Saved View dialog (see Saved View Dialogs), specify the properties of the view using the fields described in Saved View Properties.
- Click the Add Saved View button to save the new view and return to Data Explorer. A notice will appear indicating that the view has been saved, and the title bar of the graph in Data Explorer will now include a “Saved View” label.
Views can be loaded into Data Explorer from the Library Display Area in the Library. When loaded, the view’s settings will be applied to the panes of the Data Explorer sidebar and the contents (e.g. graph and table) of the display area will be automatically updated.
To load a view into Data Explorer:
- In the list of views on the Library tab of the Library, click on the saved view that you want to load. The view will be displayed in the Library display area.
- At the upper right of the display area, click the Open in Data Explorer button. The view will load into Data Explorer.
Either a view itself (e.g. query settings in the sidebar) or the properties of that view (e.g. description) can be edited.
To edit a view’s query and display settings:
- With the view open in Data Explorer (see Loading a View), make changes to sidebar or display settings. A prompt will appear at the top of the display area to inform you that you have unapplied changes.
- At the top of the sidebar, click the Run Query Button to apply the changed settings to the displayed graph and table.
- The notification at the top of the display area will now include a Save Changes button. When you click it, a popup notification will confirm that the changes have been saved.
To edit a view’s properties (name, description, or sharing settings):
- Hover over the saved view in the Library List (on the Library tab of the Library).
- Click the menu icon (at the right of the view’s row in the list) to open the List Item Context Menu).
- Choose the Properties option. In the resulting Saved View Properties dialog, edit the properties of the view (see Saved View Properties).
- Click the Save button to save the edited view and return to the Library.