The setting of metrics for queries in Data Explorer and in dashboard panels is covered in the following topics:
Note: For further information on metrics, see About Metrics.
The sidebar controls in Data Explorer and dashboard panels include the Metrics pane for choosing the metrics that are used for queries. The pane includes the following UI elements:
- Metric drop-down: Choose the primary metric (see About Metrics) with which the results of the query will be expressed in graphs and tables.
- Customize Metrics button: A button that opens the Metrics dialog (see About the Metrics Dialog).
Note: For each metric in the drop-down menu Kentik has preselected a set of additional metrics that will be shown in the results table when the query is run. To customize these additional metrics, click the Customize Metrics.
About the Metrics Dialog
A metric is a combination of a unit (e.g. a bit) with a method of calculation (e.g. average per second) to create a quantifiable measurement (average bits/second). In Data Explorer, the Metrics dialog determines how metrics are used in the chart and table that return as results from a query:
- Primary metric: The metric that is plotted on the positive Y axis in the chart, and by which the table will initially be sorted.
- Secondary metric: If configured, this metric is plotted on the negative Y axis in a compound query (see Compound Queries).
- Additional metrics: Multiple additional metrics may be chosen to appear as columns in the results table (see Data Explorer Table).
The Metrics Dialog is accessed in one of the following ways from the Metrics Pane of the Query sidebar:
- The Custom option on the drop-down menu;
- The Customize Metrics button.
Metrics Dialog UI
The Metrics Dialog includes the following UI elements that are used to set primary, secondary, and additional metrics:
- Close button: Click the X in the upper right corner to close the dialog. All elements will be restored to their values at the time the dialog was opened.
- Use Preset Selections For: A drop-down menu that lists primary metrics. When you choose a primary metric any existing metrics in the Selected Metrics list are removed and the chosen metric is added to the list along with a set of additional metrics chosen by Kentik to supplement the primary metric.
- Clear Selections button: Clears all metrics from the Selected Metrics list.
- Filter field: Filters the list of available metrics to those whose name contains the entered text.
- Selected Metrics list: A list of the metrics currently selected from the Available Metrics list. To change the order in which the metrics are displayed in the results table, drag the handle at the left of each selected metric.
- Available metrics list: A list of all of the metrics that are currently supported by Kentik, grouped into unit-based categories (see Metrics Reference).
- To select all metrics in a given category (e.g. Bits/s or Unique IPs), check the box at the right of the category name.
- To select all calculations (e.g. Average, 95th percentile, and Max) of a given metric, check the box at the right of the metric name.
- To select an individual metric (e.g. Average Flows/s) check the box to the left of the individual metric in the list.
- TCP metrics are available only when the currently selected data sources (see Data Sources Pane) include one or more hosts.
- The categories of Bits/s and Packets/s are broken into subcategories based on where flow is sampled: Ingress, Egress, or both.
- Primary Display & Sort Metric: A drop-down menu used to choose the metric that is plotted on the positive Y axis in the chart, and by which the table will initially be sorted.
Note: For TCP (host) metrics related to percents and latencies (e.g. % Retransmits, Server latency, etc.) the menu items include the option to sort using Kentik Intellisort, in which the rows of the result table are sorted based on assumptions about which results would logically be the highest priority for users to know.
- Secondary Display Metric (shown only when the Selected Metrics list includes metrics from more than one category): A metric that will be plotted on the negative Y axis in a compound query (see Compound Queries).
- Sort Secondary Metric Separately (shown only if Secondary Display Metric is set to something other than None): If the switch is on, the results table will include a second tab in which the rows are sorted by the secondary metric.
- Cancel button: Cancel changes to the selected metrics and exit the dialog. The current query’s metrics will be restored to what they were when the dialog was opened.
- Save button: Save changes to the selected metrics and exit the dialog.