The initial set up of monitoring for Kentik NMS in the v4 portal is covered in the following topics:
About NMS Setup
Setting up NMS involves working through a wizard that gathers the information needed for Kentik to monitor metrics on devices and interfaces. The NMS Setup Wizard — on the NMS Setup page — is used in two contexts:
- Onboarding NMS: NMS setup is one setup task within the overall onboarding process that new Kentik customers (or trial users) go through to get up and running with Kentik (see Setup Overview). These tasks are listed at the left of the Welcome to Network Observability page.
- Updating NMS monitoring: Whenever you change the devices and interfaces in your network infrastructure you'll want to update your NMS discovery to be sure that all intended devices are being monitored. to do so, you'll access the NMS Setup page from the Discover Devices button on the NMS Devices page.
The wizard helps you deploy, on a machine in your own infrastructure, the Kentik NMS agent that collects metrics data and sends it to the Kentik SaaS. You can choose whether to deploy the agent via Docker or Linux. Once the collector is deployed, you tell it the IP ranges of the devices from which you wish to collect NMS data, then initiate the discovery process, which results in a list of devices that will be monitored by Kentik NMS.
SNMP Polling for NMS
For non-NMS applications involving SNMP, Kentik polls devices directly from the Kentik SaaS. In Kentik NMS, however, the monitored devices are polled by the machines on which you have deployed the Kentik NMS Agent. with the NMS Setup Wizard.
NMS via Streaming Telemetry
The NMS Setup Wizard is used only to discover devices on which SNMP polling is already enabled from the device(s) on which you've deployed the Kentik NMS agent. However, Kentik NMS also supports the use of Streaming Telemetry (ST) to gather metrics in areas such as interface statistics, CPU, and memory. ST is more efficient than SNMP (less CPU load on the monitored device, less network traffic), and it also supports much more frequent data collecting, resulting in higher-resolution charts.
Streaming Telemetry can be used for NMS on a given device under the following conditions:
- The device itself is configured to publish Streaming Telemetry data.
- The device is already discovered for monitoring by Kentik NMS (see NMS Setup Wizard).
If the above conditions are met and you'd like to collect data for a device with ST in addition to SNMP, check the Dial-in from Kentik Agent checkbox on the Streaming Telemetry tab of the Device Settings Dialog for the device, which you can access via the Settings » Network Devices page of the Kentik portal.
NMS Setup Wizard
Use of the NMS Setup wizard involves the following steps:
- Go to the NMS Setup page (see About NMS Setup).
- Choose whether to deploy the Kentik NMS agent via Docker or Linux, and click the corresponding tab.
- On the Deploy Collector page of the wizard, copy the command from the field at the top of the tab.
- Paste the command into terminal and run it.
- A new agent will show in the Select an Agent list. The value of the Host Name column will be:
- For Docker: The ID of the agent's Docker container.
- For Linux: The hostname of the Linux system where the agent was installed.
- Click the Use this Agent button, which takes you to Step 2 of the wizard, Add Subnets & Credentials.
- In the IP Range field, enter a comma-separated list of the IP ranges of the devices that you’d like to monitor.
- From the Credential drop-down, choose an option for SNMP credentials for the device(s). To add a new credential, choose New Credential, which opens the New Credential dialog. Specify the following fields of the dialog:
- Type: The version of SNMP that you’ve already enabled on the device.
- Credential Name: Any user chosen name (no spaces).
- Community: The SNMP community that’s already configured on the device.
- The Collection Agent drop-down will, by default, show the agent chosen in the Deploy Collector step. If desired, choose a different agent.
- Click the Start Discovery button at the bottom right, which takes you to Step 3 of the wizard, the Discover and Import Devices page.
- The agent will scan the IP Range, looking for devices that have the credentials enabled (configured) and SNMP enabled. Progress is shown in the indicators of the information pane across the top. As devices are discovered they are added to the Discovered Devices list below.
- In the list of discovered devices:
- Click the customize button to choose which columns of information are shown in the list.
- Uncheck the checkbox at the start of the row for any device that that you do not want to monitor.
- Click the Add Devices button at the upper right. Monitoring will start for the checked devices in the list, and you’ll be taken to the NMS Devices page.
The Kentik portal's pages devoted to NMS discovery are covered in the following topics:
About NMS Discovery
Depending on the scope of your network infrastructure, device discovery may not be instantaneous when you run the NMS Setup Wizard. While discovery is ongoing, a temporary status indicator will appear in the portal's main navbar.
The indicator includes the following UI elements:
- Discovery Count: The number of discoveries in progress.
- View All: A link to the Discovery Overview Page, where you can see a list of all in-progress discoveries in your organization.
Discovery Overview Page
The Discovery Overview page provides a way to check the status of all ongoing NMS discoveries initiated from the NMS Setup Wizard. The page is a list of cards, each providing information about one discovery.
Each card includes the following UI elements:
- Discovery status: The status of the discovery:
- Complete: All IPs specified in the NMS Setup Wizard have been scanned.
- In progress: The scan of IPs has not completed. An estimate is provided of the time remaining.
- Completion percentage: The percent of the IPs that have been scanned.
- IPs scanned: The number of IPs scanned.
- Devices found: The number of devices found.
- View Discovery Details: A link to the Discovery Details Page for this discovery.
Discovery Details Page
The Discovery Details page provides details about one discovery in the list on the Discovery Overview Page. The page includes the following main UI elements:
NMS Discovery Indicators
The information pane across the top of an NMS Device Details page includes the same indicators that are found in each discovery card on the Discovery Overview Page.
NMS Discovery Device List
The device list for an NMS discovery is a table listing all of the devices found so far in the discovery. The list includes the following UI elements:
- Search: A field that filters the list to devices in which one of the table columns contains a match for the entered text.
- Monitored device count: A count of the number of devices in the list whose checkboxes are checked.
- Add Devices: A button that initiates NMS monitoring on any device in the list whose checkbox (at left of row) is checked.
- Select all: A checkbox in the table's heading row that toggles on or off the checkboxes of all individual device rows.
- Select device: A checkbox at the start of each row that selects the device for monitoring.
- Customize: A popup from which you can choose, using checkboxes, the columns that will be shown in the list (see Customize Columns).
- Columns: Information about the device in a given row of the list.
Note: By default, the Select device checkmarks for all found devices are on.
The Customize Columns popup for the device list on an NMS Discovery details page includes the following columns that can be shown in the list:
- IP Address
- Object ID
- Device ID