Kentik licenses are covered in the following topics:
Note: The Plans Page from the Kentik v3 portal is now deprecated and legacy plans are instead listed on the v4 Licenses page.
A Kentik license represents the level of service specified in the agreement between you and Kentik. A license involves two main components:
- Edition: The overall set of features and capabilities included in your Kentik services (see Kentik Editions).
- Plans: A specified set of services to be provided by Kentik (see About Plans). The specific characteristics of the plan depend on the type of service to be provided:
- FlowPak: Monitoring, analytics, and alerting for flows from devices such as routers and hosts. The "Default" plan is a FlowPak plan (see Flow Overview).
- CloudPak: Monitoring, analytics, and alerting for flow logs from a cloud service provider like AWS, GCP, Azure, or IBM (see Cloud Overview).
- Synthetics: Testing of latency, packet loss, and jitter conducted by Kentik ksynth sotfware agents deployed globally or privately (see Synthetics Overview).
- My Kentik Portal: A limited, customer-branded version of the Kentik Detect portal, which a Kentik customer can make available to its own external or internal customers (see My Kentik Portal).
Plans are configured by Kentik and are not editable by customers. The level of service in a plan is represented as a set of values for plan attributes. All customers have at least one plan, named “Default.”
As you register your data sources with Kentik you must assign each to a specific plan. The plans to which your devices belong are shown on the Licenses Page (choose Licenses on the portal main menu), where you’ll find the attributes of each plan (see Plans Pane) and the devices that are assigned to it.
Note: For assistance with your organization’s plans, please contact Customer Support.
Kentik currently offers the following editions:
- Kentik Pro: The core Kentik platform, which enables you to proactively manage network events, automate service assurance, plan network utilization and peering, and respond to traffic anomalies that impact network performance, availability, and security.
- Kentik Premier: Our most feature-rich solution builds on the foundation of Kentik Pro while protecting your network with threat detection and third party mitigation options and also providing in-depth understanding of how your customers are using the network, including OTT analytics.
- For additional information on editions, see the Plans & Pricing page of the Kentik website.
- If a customer's edition doesn't correspond to either Pro or Premier it will be labeled as "Custom."
The Licenses page, which enables Kentik users to see the details of their Kentik service, is covered in the following topics:
The Edition pane provides the following information about your organization's Kentik edition and how it's currently being used:
- Edition name: The name of your edition (see Kentik Editions).
- Dashboards: The number of dashboards (see About Dashboards) currently used in your organization out of the total number supported by your edition, e.g. "65 of 500."
- My Kentik Tenants: The number of My Kentik tenants (see My Kentik Portal) currently used in your organization.
- Scheduled Reports: The number of scheduled reports (see Report Subscriptions) currently used in your organization.
- Custom Dimensions: The number of Custom Dimensions currently used in your organization out of the total number supported by your edition, e.g. "7 of 10."
- Flow Tags: The number of flow tags (see Flow Tags) currently used in your organization out of the total number supported by your edition, e.g. "38 of 10,000."
- Users: The current number of Kentik users (see Manage Users) in your organization out of the total number supported by your edition, e.g. "25 of 1,000."
The Plans pane contains a collection of cards, each of which represents an individual FlowPak or CloudPak that your organization has purchased from Kentik. Each card contains the information fields covered below.
The following general information is provided on the left side of each card:
- Type: The type of plan (e.g. FlowPak or CloudPak).
- Name: Kentik's name for this plan. The name is not unique to your organization. Also shown, in parentheses, is the ID of this plan.
- Usage: A meter showing usage of this plan; the metric varies depending on plan type:
- FlowPak: The number of devices used out of the total devices available under the plan, e.g. "72 of 250."
- CloudPak: The max flows/second over last 24 hours, as a number and as a percent of the max allowed by the plan. Click the View in Data Explorer icon to open Data Explorer (in a new browser tab) filtered to show the total traffic from all of the data sources assigned to this plan.
- Synthetics: The percent used of this month's testing credits.
- My Kentik Portal: The number and percent of tenants out of the max tenants allowed under the plan.
Device and Cloud Information
The following information is provided on the right side of a card for FlowPaks and CloudPaks:
- Max FPS (not present for Synthetics of MKP): The maximum flows/second supported by the plan.
- Data Sources (CloudPaks only): The current number of Kentik-registered devices/clouds (see Network Devices) assigned to this plan out of the total number supported by the plan, e.g. "72 of 250."
- Show: Opens a popup showing the devices/clouds in this plan.
- BGP: Indicates whether or not devices/clouds in this plan may be peered to enable Kentik to collect BGP routing data (see BGP Overview).
- Fast Retention: The number of days that data will be stored in the Fast dataseries (see About Dataseries Resolution).
- Full Retention: The number of days that data will be stored in the Full dataseries.
The following information is provided on the right side of a card for Synthetics plans:
- Used Credits: The number of credits used do far this month by tests assigned to this plan.
- Max Credits: The total number of test credits per month for this plan.
My Kentik Portal Information
The following information is provided on the right side of a card for My Kentik Portal plans:
- Advanced MKP: Indicates whether the total number of tenants under this plan is limited (Advanced MKP is disabled) or unlimited.