The Library module is covered in the following topics:
- About the Library
- Kentik Presets
- Library Page
- Library Views Lists
- Favorites List
- Recently Viewed List
About the Library
The Library in the Kentik portal provides a single place to find, view, and manage (create, edit, categorize, etc.) views of your organization’s network traffic data. The following kinds of views are available in the Library:
- Dashboard: A page with one or more panels that each display a single view of traffic data (graph, table, or gauge); see About Dashboards.
- Saved view: A page with a single view based on a collection of settings saved in Data Explorer; see About Saved Views. The underlying query settings can’t be adjusted from the view presented in the Library, but you can load a saved view into Data Explorer for access to the full control set.
The Library does not replace Data Explorer as a tool for deep ad hoc analytics on network traffic, but rather makes it easier for you to find your most-used visualizations. The provided controls enable you to quickly adjust key parameters without digging deeply into all aspects of the settings behind each view.
- Both dashboards and saved views may be either user-created or Kentik-provided (see Kentik Presets).
- Saved views in Kentik v4 are similar but not identical to saved views in v3. Detailed documentation of v4 saved views is coming soon. In the meantime please refer to the v3 KB article for Saved Views.
Kentik provides preset dashboards and saved views — referred to as "Kentik presets" — which may be created either for all Kentik customers or specifically for an individual organization (request via email@example.com). Kentik has developed a wide variety of such presets addressing a range of use cases for various types of organizations (service providers, web enterprises, etc.). These presets are listed on the Kentik Presets tab of the Library page.
The Library page enables users to create, access, and modify the dashboards and saved views in their organization. The Library page includes the following main UI elements:
Library Page Sections
The Library page includes the following main sections:
- Library controls: A control group that enables filtering the displayed dashboards and saved views as well as adding a dashboard or saved view (see Library Controls).
- Views tab heads: Click to determine whether the categorized and uncategorized lists include dashboards/saved views created within your organization (default) or by Kentik (see Library Views Tabs).
- Views lists: The main display area of the Library page includes the following lists of views (dashboards/saved views):
- the main views lists at left, both categorized (above) and uncategorized (below); see Library Views Lists;
- the Favorites List;
- the Recently Viewed List.
The following controls are found at the top right of the Library:
- Filter field: When text is entered in the field the Library Views Lists will show only dashboards/saved views whose name or description includes that text, and a notification will appear above the list. The notification states the number of filtered results and includes a Clear Filters button.
- Show: A drop-down that lists categories of dashboards/saved views to include/exclude from the Library Views Lists based on their Visibility setting (see General Dashboard Settings):
- Kentik Presets: Readymade dashboards/saved views created by Kentik for common use cases (see Kentik Presets).
- Shared: Dashboards/saved views whose visibility is Shared, meaning that you or others in your organization have created them and designated them for use by everyone in the organization.
- Private: Dashboards/saved views whose visibility is Private, meaning that you have made them for your own personal use and have not shared with others in your organization (no one else has access).
- Created by Me: Dashboards/saved views that you have created, whether their visibility setting is Shared or Private.
- Add: A dropdown from which you can choose the following actions:
- New Dashboard: Opens the Add Dashboard dialog (see Dashboard Dialogs).
- New Saved View: Opens the Add Saved View dialog (see Saved View Dialogs UI).
Library Views Tabs
The Library has two tabs, each of which displays dashboards/saved views in Library Views Lists:
- Company Views tab: The list shown on this tab (whose actual name will correspond to your organization) contains dashboards and saved views created by you or others within your organization.
- Kentik Presets tab: The list shown on this tab contains dashboards and saved views provided by Kentik.
Note: Either tab may include dashboards and saved views that both have and haven't been categorized.
Library Views Lists
The Library's views lists are covered in the following topics:
About the Views Lists
The tabs of the Library each contain a Categorized Views list, below which is an Uncategorized Views list. Each list consists of a set of cards that represent Views List Items (dashboards or saved views). In a Categorized Views list, these cards are grouped alphabetically under heading cards that represent Views List Categories; the order of the categories may be set to ascending or descending. In the Uncategorized Views list, which has no category cards, the entire list of item cards appears in ascending alphabetical order.
Views List Controls
In addition to the list itself, the following indicators and controls are associated with a views list:
- Count: A lozenge at the right of the list heading (e.g. "Categorized Views") that gives the number of items in the list. If the list is filtered (see Library Controls) then only dashboards/saved views that match the filter criteria will be included in the count.
- Collapse/Expand all: Toggle the Categorized Views list between the following states:
- Expanded: The views within each category are listed below the folder for that category.
- Collapsed: A folder is shown for each category but the views within each category are not shown.
- Add Category (Company Views tab only): A button that enables you to add a category to the Categorized Views list (see Adding a View Category).
- Sort: A button at the top right of a Categorized Views list that toggles the alphabetical sort of the categories between ascending (A » Z) and descending (Z » A).
- List mode: A button group used to show/hide the description and details elements (see Views List Items) of all of the cards in the views lists (categorized and uncategorized):
- Full: Descriptions and details are shown.
- Compact: Descriptions and details are not shown.
Views List Categories
Categories enable dashboards and saved views to be grouped (e.g. around use cases) to make them easier to find in the categorized views list:
- On the Company Views tab the category to which a given dashboard or saved view is assigned can be determined by any user whose level is Administrator or above. Administrators can also create categories (see Adding a View Category).
- On the Kentik Presets tab the category to which a given dashboard or saved view is assigned is determined by Kentik.
Note: Categories in your organization's Company Views that existed in the previous iteration of the Kentik Library (and were not empty) have been migrated to the current Library. The names of migrated categories have been prefixed with "[Migrated]." To rename a migrated category see Context Menu in View Category UI.
View Category UI
Each category is represented in the list by a category heading card above the item cards corresponding to the views in the category. A category card includes the following UI elements:
- Expand/collapse (triangle): Toggles the visibility of the cards representing dashboards/saved views in this category.
Note: Shift-click the expand/collapse arrow to expand or collapse all categories in the list.
- Folder icon: Indicates whether the category is empty (icon is muted) or includes dashboards/saved views, in which case the folder is open when the category is expanded and closed when the category is collapsed.
- Name: The name of the category.
Note: If the category existed (and wasn't empty) in your organization before the most recent Library redesign then the name will begin with "[Migrated]" (to rename it see Context Menu below).
- Count: A lozenge that by default indicates the number of dashboards/saved views in this category. If the list is filtered (see Library Controls) then only dashboards/saved views that match the filter criteria will be included in the count.
- Context menu (vertical ellipses icon): A popup menu offering the following actions:
- Rename: Unlocks the name field and displays buttons to Save (change the name to the text in the field) or Cancel (keep the old name), both of which close the popup.
- Remove: Opens a confirmation dialog that allows you to remove the category from your organization.
Adding a View Category
The Add Category button at the top right of a Categorized Views list enables you to add categories to the list. To add a category:
- Click the Add Category button. A new view category card (see View Category UI) will appear at the top of the list.
- Enter the name of the new category into the field in the card.
- Click the Add button. A notification will appear indicating that the category has been added successfully, and the category's card will appear in the list (at the alphabetical location). you'll now be able to drag views (dashboards or saved views) into the category (see Handle in Views List Items).
Note: To remove a view category from a list, see Context Menu in View Category UI.
Views List Items
A views list item is a card in a views list (categorized or uncategorized) that represents an individual dashboard or saved view.
Each card for a views list item includes the following UI elements:
- Handle: A handle at the upper left of the card that enables you to move the card to a different category in the list (Administrators only) by dragging it onto the heading card for the destination category. During this operation a blue border will appear on the left side of the dragged card and the destination category card will be outlined in blue.
- Kind: An icon that indicates whether the item is a dashboard or a saved view. If the visibility of the item is Private then the blue Private icon will be overlaid at the bottom right of the Kind icon.
- Name: The name of the item. Click the name to go to the dashboard/saved view.
- Add to Favorites (star icon): A button that adds the item to the Favorites List in the right sidebar.
- View item menu (kabob icon): A button that opens a drop-down menu, either the Dashboard Context Menu or the Saved View Context Menu.
- Description: A description of the content of the dashboard or saved view.
- Guided Mode Value (dashboards only): Specify the value of a dashboard's guided-mode filter (see Guided Mode Pane). The selector type varies depending on the dashboard's guided-mode input type:
- Freeform: A field into which the value may be entered.
- Predefined: A drop-down list from which the value must be chosen.
- Details: Additional information about the item, including the user who created it as well as the creation and last edited dates.
Dashboard Context Menu
The context menu for dashboards includes the following options:
- Open in Edit Mode: Opens the dashboard in edit state (see Dashboard Edit Controls).
- Edit Properties: Opens the Edit Dashboard Properties dialog (see Dashboard Dialogs).
- Clone Dashboard: Opens the Clone Dashboard dialog, which has the same fields and controls as the Edit Dashboard Properties dialog but without the Dashboard Dependencies pane (see Dashboard Navigation). When property settings are complete for the clone click the Add Dashboard button to create the cloned dashboard.
- Export: Opens a submenu from which you can choose among various forms in which the dashboard can be exported (see Portal Export Options).
- Add Subscription: Opens the Subscription dialog (see Subscription Field Definitions), which enables you to create a distribution list to which a PDF of the current state of the dashboard will be emailed at a scheduled interval.
- Copy Permalink: Copies to the clipboard a URL that you can forward to other Kentik users in your organization so they can easily get to the dashboard.
- My Kentik Portal: Actions related to My Kentik Portal (only present if your organization has set up MKP):
- Preview as Tenant: Opens a submenu from which you can choose an MKP tenant, after which you'll be taken to the dashboard as it would appear to that tenant.
- Assign to Tenant: Add this dashboard to the views available to a given tenant (see Tenant View Settings).
- Add to package: Add this dashboard to an MKP package (see Package View Settings).
- Remove: Opens a confirmation popup that enables you to remove the dashboard from your organization.
Saved View Context Menu
The context menu for saved views includes the following options:
- Edit Properties: Opens the Edit Saved View dialog (see Saved View Dialogs).
- Clone Saved View: Opens the Clone Saved View dialog, which has the same fields and controls as the Edit Saved View dialog. When property settings are complete for the clone click the Add Saved View button to create the clone.
- Add to New Dashboard: Opens the Add Dashboard dialog (see Dashboard Dialogs), enabling you to create a new dashboard to which you can add this saved view as a panel.
Note: A dashboard panel created from a saved view is completely independent of that saved view, and modifications to one will have effect on the other.
- Add to Existing Dashboard: Opens the Add Data Explorer View Panel dialog, where you can specify the dashboard to which this saved view will be added as a panel.
Note: See note above.
- Export: Opens a submenu from which you can choose among various forms in which the saved view can exported (see Portal Export Options).
- Copy Permalink: Copies to the clipboard a URL that you can forward to other Kentik users in your organization so they can easily get to the saved view.
- My Kentik Portal: Actions related to My Kentik Portal (only present if your organization has set up MKP):
- Preview as Tenant: Opens a submenu from which you can choose an MKP tenant, after which you'll be taken to the saved view as it would appear to that tenant.
- Assign to Tenant: Add this saved view to the views available to a given tenant (see Tenant View Settings).
- Add to package: Add this saved view to an MKP package (see Package View Settings).
- Remove: Opens a confirmation popup that enables you to remove the saved view from your organization.
The Favorites list appears at the top of the right sidebar and includes every dashboard/saved view that you have designated as a favorite using the Add to Favorites (star icon) button on the card of an individual views list item (see Views List Items).
The card for each item in the Favorites list is a duplicate of the corresponding card in a Views list, including the context menu. Instead of a Details field, however, a card in the Favorites list will indicate the category of the dashboard/saved view (or "Uncategorized" if it doesn't belong to a category). A dashboard/saved view can be removed from the Favorites list by clicking the star icon on the card, either in the Views list or the Favorites list.
Note: The Favorites icon appears not only in the Library, but also in the title bar of any Dashboard, Saved View, or Data Explorer query. The Favorite status can be toggled on/off from any of those locations.
Recently Viewed List
The Recently Viewed list appears in the right sidebar below the Favorites list and includes the dashboards/saved views that you have most recently visited. The card for each item in the Recently Viewed list is a duplicate of the corresponding card in a Views list, including the context menu. Instead of a Details field, however, a card in the Recently Viewed list will indicate the category of the dashboard/saved view (or "Uncategorized" if it doesn't belong to a category).