The Network Explorer page is the landing page for the Network Explorer module in the Core section of the portal. This page provides a high-level overview of the traffic on your network. The following topics provide a detailed look at this page:
- Network Explorer UI
- Network Explorer Graph
- Clouds and Sites Pane
- Network Explorer Table
- Network Explorer Sidebar
- Kentik Map Tab
- Synthetics Tab
Network Explorer UI
The Network Explorer page includes the following UI elements:
- Insights (on SubNav): A button that pops up the Insights Pane, which shows insights related to traffic across your network (see About Insights).
- Tabs: Click a tab head to choose what's displayed in the main display area:
- Traffic tab: Shows the default view, containing the panes described in the remaining topics of this article.
- Kentik Map tab: Shows the Kentik Map tab, which displays a topology map as described in Kentik Map.
Note: The Kentik Map tab of Network Explorer does not have the Options sidebar that is present on the Kentik Map page itself.
- Synthetics tab: The Synthetics tab provides a quick overview of network status as determined by synthetic testing, and is also a gateway from Network Explorer to the portal’s Synthetics workflows (see Synthetics Overview).
- Parameter controls: Set the parameters of the query whose results are displayed in the page's graph and table (see Parameter Controls):
- Aggregate Selector: Choose the calculation by which traffic data displayed in the graph and table is aggregated
- Metric Selector: Set the metric by which query results are evaluated for top-X and displayed in the graph and table.
- Time Range Selector: Set the duration, looking back from the current time, covered by the query whose results are displayed in the graph and table.
- Tabbed graph: Displays visualizations of the results returned from the query specified with the Parameter Controls (see Network Explorer Graph).
- Clouds and Sites: A set of cards providing a high-level look at traffic for all of your organization's Clouds and sites (see Clouds and Sites Pane).
- Network Explorer Table: A tabbed table (see Network Explorer Table) in which each tab displays a top-X table corresponding to a dimension. The queries that return results for each tab are affected by the Parameter Controls.
- Network Explorer Sidebar: A set of cards that each contains high-level information and links related to an individual module/workflow in the portal (see Network Explorer Sidebar).
Network Explorer Graph
The Network Explorer Graph on the Traffic tab displays visualizations of the results returned from the query specified with the Parameter Controls. Depending on your actual traffic volume, there will be a tab for each of the following traffic profiles:
- Total: All traffic regardless of profile.
- Inbound: Traffic that originates outside your network and terminates inside your network.
- Outbound: Traffic that originates inside your network and terminates outside your network.
- Internal: Traffic that both originates and terminates inside your network.
- Through: Traffic that both originates and terminates outside your network.
- Other: Traffic that is not classified by the above profiles.
Note: For a full description, see Tabbed Graph.
Clouds and Sites Pane
The Clouds and Sites pane on the Traffic tab is a set of cards providing a high-level look at traffic for each of your organization's clouds and sites. Each card includes the following UI elements:
- Heading: The name of the cloud or site:
- If the card is for a cloud, the heading is the name of the cloud provider and the card represents the sum of all traffic involving that provider. Click the heading to go to an aggregate view for that provider (see Core Aggregate Views).
- If the card is for a site, the heading is the name of the site and the card represents the sum of all traffic involving that site. Click the heading to go to a details page for that site (see Core Detail Views).
- Graph: A single-area graph showing traffic for the cloud/site over the time-range set with the Time Range selector.
- Traffic data: Statistics, in the current metric, showing the following categories of traffic over the current time range:
- Total: The sum of traffic in all of the subsets below.
- Internal: Traffic whose origin and destination are both within your network.
- Inbound: Traffic entering from somewhere outside your network.
- Outbound: Traffic leaving to somewhere outside your network.
Network Explorer Table
The Traffic tab of the Network Explorer page includes the Network Explorer table. The table is tabbed, with each tab providing information related to a different dimension. The currently displayed tabs (up to eight) are specified with the Customize Tabs Dialog.
- For information about the UI of a tabbed table, see Traffic Table UI.
- For information about a specific dimension that is listed as being available for tabbed tables, see Dimensions Reference.
- The dimensions available for tabs are a subset of the dimensions available for group-by and filtering in Data Explorer.
- For a given Kentik customer, the list of dimensions will be the same in all instances of the Customize Tabs dialog, but may vary over time depending on what types of devices you currently have registered with Kentik.
Network Explorer Sidebar
The sidebar on the Network Explorer page is made up of a set of cards that each provide information — subject to the current settings of the Parameter Controls — related to a specific module/workflow in the Kentik portal and/or a link to that module. The sidebar cards include the UI elements listed below:
- Kentik Map: A link to the Kentik Map module.
- Insights & Alerting: A link to the Insights & Alerting module.
- Library: A link to the Library.
- Data Explorer: A link to Data Explorer.
- Explore Top Talkers: A button that opens a drop-down categorized menu of aggregate views (see Aggregate Views Categories).
- Status indicators: The Critical (red), Warning (orange), and Healthy (green) indicators provide a count of the tests whose current status falls into each of those states.
- Performance Dashboard: A button that takes you to the Performance Dashboard.
- Capacity Planning:
- Status: A count of interfaces on your network whose utilization is in each of the various capacity planning states (healthy, warning, critical).
- Capacity Planning: A button that links to the Capacity Planning landing page.
- Connectivity Costs:
- Estimated cost: The estimated cost you are paying per billing cycle (monthly) for connectivity.
- Ingress: The sum of the Ingress rates stated for every interface that has been associated with any of your cost groups.
- Egress: The sum of the Egress rates stated for every interface that has been associated with any of your cost groups.
- Connectivity Costs: A button that links to the Connectivity Costs landing page.
- Inbound/Outbound traffic: A table showing the inbound and outbound rates, based on the aggregate, metric, and time range settings in the Parameter Controls, of traffic whose connectivity type is IX, Free Private Peering, or Paid Private Peering.
Note: If there's no traffic for a given connectivity type then that type will not be listed in the table.
- Discover New Peers: A button that links to the Discover Peers landing page.
- DDoS Defense (if any is active in your organization):
- Active attacks: Number of attacks currently in progress.
- Active mitigations: Number of mitigations currently in progress.
- Attacks within last 24 hours: Number of attacks in last day (not affected by the current time range setting on the Network Explorer landing page).
- DDoS Defense: A button that links to the DDoS Defense landing page.
- CDN Analytics:
- Traffic percent: Indicates the percent of total subscriber traffic attributed to the top 5 CDNs, and lists those CDNs as links that take you to their individual CDN pages.
- CDN Analytics: A button that links to the CDN Analytics landing page.
- OTT Service Tracking (if your organization has any OTT traffic):
- Total traffic: The total bitrate of traffic with which Kentik has associated a service (the sum of Fully-classified and Provider-only).
- Traffic percent: Indicates the percent of total traffic attributed to the top 5 services, and lists those services as links that take you to their individual service pages.
- OTT Service Tracking: A button that links to the OTT Service Tracking landing page.
Kentik Map Tab
The Kentik Map tab displays a topology map that diagrams the details of and relationships between three main aspects of your Hybrid IT network infrastructure: on-premises (e.g. your data centers), cloud-hosted resources, and the Internet at large. The contents of the tab are essentially the same as the top level of the portal’s Kentik Map module, which is described in Kentik Map, except that the tab does not have the Options sidebar that is present in the module.
As with the module, clicking a map element in the tab opens a details popup that includes a View Topology button that takes you to a deeper level of your network’s topology. In the case of the tab, however, that deeper level won’t open in place but instead will take you to the Kentik Map module itself.
The Synthetics tab provides a quick overview of network status as determined by synthetic testing, and is also a gateway from Network Explorer to the portal’s Synthetics workflows (see Synthetics Overview). This tab includes the following main elements:
- Network Performance Meshes: The Network Performance Meshes pane shows matrices that each represent a mesh as defined in Synthetic Test Types. Each mesh appears in a separate tab of the pane. Mesh UI is described in Test Mesh Subtab.
- Tests List: A sortable table showing all of the tests that exist within your organization. The table includes columns with the following information for each listed test:
- Status: The current status of the test (see Synthetic Test Status).
- Test: The type (see Synthetic Test Types) and name of the test.
- Agents: The number of agents involved in the test (see About the Synthetics Agent).
- Monthly Credit Usage: The number of test credits projected to be used by this test this month (see Synthetic Test Credits).