The Network Explorer page is the landing page for the Network Explorer module in the Core section of the portal. This page provides a high-level overview of the traffic on your network. The following topics provide a detailed look at this page:
- Network Explorer UI
- Network Explorer Graph
- Clouds and Sites Pane
- Network Explorer Table
- Network Explorer Sidebar
Network Explorer UI
The Network Explorer page includes the following UI elements:
- Share (on SubNav): Opens the Share dialog to enable you to share the current view (see Sharing via the Share Dialog).
- Actions (on SubNav): A drop-down menu from which you can choose to export the current view as a visual report (PDF) covering the page’s visualizations and tables. A notification appears when the PDF is ready to download.
- Insights (on SubNav): A button that pops up the Insights Pane, which shows insights related to traffic across your network (see About Insights).
- Review your devices: A callout that appears at the top of the page if any of your organization's devices need attention in order for their flow data to be ingested into Kentik. Click the Review your devices button to go to the Device Status page, where you can address issues with the devices.
- Parameter controls: Set the parameters of the query whose results are displayed in the page's graph and table (see Parameter Controls):
- Aggregate Selector: Choose the calculation by which traffic data displayed in the graph and table is aggregated
- Metric Selector: Set the metric by which query results are evaluated for top-X and displayed in the graph and table.
- Time Range Selector: Set the duration, looking back from the current time, covered by the query whose results are displayed in the graph and table.
- Tabbed graph: Displays visualizations of the results returned from the query specified with the Parameter Controls (see Network Explorer Graph).
- Clouds and Sites: A set of cards providing a high-level look at traffic for all of your organization's Clouds and sites (see Clouds and Sites Pane).
- Network Explorer Table: A tabbed table (see Network Explorer Table) in which each tab displays a top-X table corresponding to a dimension. The queries that return results for each tab are affected by the Parameter Controls.
- Network Explorer Sidebar: A set of cards that each contains high-level information and links related to an individual module/workflow in the portal (see Network Explorer Sidebar).
Network Explorer Graph
The Network Explorer Graph displays visualizations of the results returned from the query specified with the Parameter Controls. Depending on your actual traffic volume, there will be a tab for each of the following traffic profiles:
- Total: All traffic regardless of profile.
- Internal: Traffic that both originates and terminates inside your network.
- Inbound: Traffic that originates outside your network and terminates inside your network.
- Outbound: Traffic that originates inside your network and terminates outside your network.
- Through: Traffic that both originates and terminates outside your network.
- Other: Traffic that is not classified by the above profiles.
Note: For a full description, see Tabbed Graph.
Clouds and Sites Pane
The Clouds and Sites pane is a set of cards providing a high-level look at traffic for each of your organization's clouds and sites. Each card includes the following UI elements:
- Heading: The name of the cloud or site:
- If the card is for a cloud, the heading is the name of the cloud provider and the card represents the sum of all traffic involving that provider. Click the heading to go to an aggregate view for that provider (see Core Aggregate Views).
- If the card is for a site, the heading is the name of the site and the card represents the sum of all traffic involving that site. Click the heading to go to a details page for that site (see Core Detail Views).
- Traffic data: Statistics, in the current metric, showing the following categories of traffic over the current time range:
- Total: The sum of traffic in all of the subsets below.
- Internal: Traffic whose origin and destination are both within your network.
- Inbound: Traffic entering from somewhere outside your network.
- Outbound: Traffic leaving to somewhere outside your network.
- Graph: A single-area graph showing traffic for the cloud/site over the time-range set with the Time Range selector.
Note: Click See All Sites to go to the aggregate page for your sites (see Core Aggregate Pages).
Network Explorer Table
The Network Explorer table is tabbed, with each tab providing information related to a different dimension. The currently displayed tabs (up to eight) are specified with the Customize Tabs Dialog.
- For information about the UI of a tabbed table, see Traffic Table UI.
- For information about a specific dimension that is listed as being available for tabbed tables, see Dimensions Reference.
- The dimensions available for tabs are a subset of the dimensions available for group-by and filtering in Data Explorer.
- For a given Kentik customer, the list of dimensions will be the same in all instances of the Customize Tabs dialog, but may vary over time depending on what types of devices you currently have registered with Kentik.
Network Explorer Sidebar
The sidebar on the Network Explorer page is made up of a set of cards that each provide information — subject to the current settings of the Parameter Controls — related to a specific module/workflow in the Kentik portal and/or a link to that module. The sidebar cards include the UI elements listed below:
- Kentik Map: A link to the Kentik Map module.
- Library: A link to the Library.
- Data Explorer: A link to Data Explorer.
- Alerting: A link to Alerting.
- Insights: A link to Insights.
- Explore Top Talkers: A button that opens a categorized drop-down menu of aggregate views (see Aggregate Views Categories).
- Status indicators: The Critical (red), Warning (orange), Healthy (green), and Pending (gray) indicators provide a count of the tests whose current status falls into each of those states.
- Synthetics Dashboard: A button that takes you to the Synthetics Dashboard.
- Capacity Planning:
- Status: A count of interfaces on your network whose utilization is in each of the various capacity planning states (healthy, warning, critical).
- Capacity Planning: A button that links to the Capacity Planning landing page.
- Connectivity Costs:
- Estimated cost: The estimated cost you are paying per billing cycle (monthly) for connectivity.
- Ingress: The sum of the Ingress rates stated for every interface that has been associated with any of your cost groups.
- Egress: The sum of the Egress rates stated for every interface that has been associated with any of your cost groups.
- Connectivity Costs: A button that links to the Connectivity Costs landing page.
- Inbound/Outbound traffic: A table showing the inbound and outbound rates, based on the aggregate, metric, and time range settings in the Parameter Controls, of traffic whose connectivity type is IX, Free Private Peering, or Paid Private Peering.
Note: If there's no traffic for a given connectivity type then that type will not be listed in the table.
- Discover New Peers: A button that links to the Discover Peers landing page.
- DDoS Defense (if any is active in your organization):
- Active attacks: Number of attacks currently in progress.
- Active mitigations: Number of mitigations currently in progress.
- Attacks within last 24 hours: Number of attacks in last day (not affected by the current time range setting on the Network Explorer landing page).
- DDoS Defense: A button that links to the DDoS Defense landing page.
- CDN Analytics:
- Traffic percent: Indicates the percent of total subscriber traffic attributed to the top 5 CDNs, and lists those CDNs as links that take you to their individual CDN pages.
- CDN Analytics: A button that links to the CDN Analytics landing page.
- OTT Service Tracking (if your organization has any OTT traffic):
- Total traffic: The total bitrate of traffic with which Kentik has associated a service (the sum of Fully-classified and Provider-only).
- Traffic percent: Indicates the percent of total traffic attributed to the top 5 services, and lists those services as links that take you to their individual service pages.
- OTT Service Tracking: A button that links to the OTT Service Tracking landing page.