Find links to how-tos that guide you through specific tasks, including both general overviews and step-by-step procedures. Browse in the tabs below or search for how-tos based on key words.
We found relevant how-tos in the following categories:
No relevant how-tos were found. Return to the previous page to:
- Search the entire KB;
- Use the Feedback form to suggest a new how-to.
Signup & Login
Sign up for Kentik and access the portal.
- Sign Up for a Trial: Complete the trial signup process on the main Kentik website.
- Account Activation: Activate your new account from the confirmation email.
- Initial Setup Login: If you're the first user from your organization, start setting up Kentik.
- Basic Login: Access the Kentik portal.
- Two-factor Login: Enable another layer of security for portal access.
- Add YubiKey: Register a YubiKey for portal access.
- Add TOTP: Register a TOTP authenticator for portal access.
Onboard your organization with the Setup workflow.
General Setup Tasks
- Invite Users: Enable colleagues in your team or organization to become Kentik users.
- Define Network Boundaries: Use source and destination information for IPs and ASes to determine the direction of network traffic with respect to your network.
- Performance Monitoring Setup: Start synthetic testing (see also the Synthetics tab).
Device Initial Setup
- Starting Device Setup: Create a device in Kentik to receive flow data from a router.
- Device General Information: Complete general settings for a device in Kentik.
- Device Flow Setup: Complete flow data settings for a device in Kentik.
- Device SNMP Setup: Complete SNMP settings for a device in Kentik.
- Device BGP Setup: Complete BGP settings for a device in Kentik.
Note: To add devices or change device settings outside of the initial setup workflow, see Devices on the Sources tab.
Fix Device Issues
- Device Status Overview: Identify issues with the settings or configuration of a device.
- Complete Device Settings: Fix incomplete device settings.
Cloud Initial Setup
- Starting Cloud Setup: Set up a cloud export in Kentik to receive flow logs from a public cloud resource.
- AWS Cloud Export Settings: Manual setup of a Kentik cloud export for an AWS resource.
- AWS Automated Setup: Use Terraform to set up a cloud export for an AWS resource.
- Azure Cloud Setup: Coming soon.
- GCP Cloud Setup: Overview of the workflow for onboarding a GCP cloud in Kentik.
- IBM Cloud Setup: Overview of the workflow for onboarding an IBM Cloud resource.
Note: To add cloud exports or change cloud export settings outside of the initial setup workflow, see also Clouds on the Sources tab.
Install and configure software agents for network traffic.
- kproxy Setup: Route flow and SNMP to kproxy.
- kproxy Docker Install: Install kproxy via Docker.
- kproxy Package Install: Install kproxy as a Debian/Ubuntu or RPM (CentOS/RHEL) package.
- Install kproxy by running a service definition with systemd.:
- Using Syslog Data: The setup workflow for using syslog data in Kentik.
- Add kproxy Agent: Deploy kproxy from the portal's kproxy Agents page.
- kprobe Download and Install: Install the kprobe executable on a host.
- Deploy Kappa to Cluster: Install Kentik's kappa agent to monitor Kubernetes using eBPF.
- kbgp Download and Install: Coming soon.
Deploy the ksynth agent for synthetic testing.
- See App Agent on the Synthetics tab.
Enable Kentik Firehose with the ktranslate agent.
- ktranslate Download and Install: Enable Kentik Firehose by installing the ktranslate agent via Docker.
- Firehose Data Sources: Send kflow for a data source from Kentik to ktranslate.
Register and manage devices in the portal.
- Customize Device List: Specify the columns of the table on the Devices page.
- Add a Device: Register a network device (e.g. router or switch) in Kentik.
- Edit a Device: Edit the settings of an already registered device.
- Remove a Device: Stop collecting traffic data from a device.
- Enable BGP: Enable Kentik to get BGP data fro traffic on a device.
- Enabling SNMP Polling: Enable Kentik to poll a device for SNMP data.
- Using SNMP V3: Set a Kentik-polled device to use SNMP v3.
- Verifying SNMP Polling: Check that Kentik is able to poll a device for SNMP data.
Create and manage the export of flow logs to Kentik.
Cloud General Settings
- Add a Cloud: Create a cloud export to bring flow logs from a cloud provider into Kentik.
- Edit a Cloud: Change the settings of an existing cloud export.
- AWS Logging Setup Overview: A summary of bringing flow logs from AWS into Kentik.
- Create Policy for Role: Create a policy in the AWS console.
- Attach Policy to Role: Create a new role to attach the policy to.
- Configure the AWS Role: Set permissions that allow Kentik’s AWS services to access your AWS resources.
- Bucket Creation: Establish a container in which to collect flow logs for access by Kentik.
- Configure Log Publishing: Configure a VPC to publish logs to a bucket.
- Check Log Creation: Confirm that the VPC is publishing logs to the bucket.
- Check Log Contents: Access flow logs manually to examine the contents.
- Configure a Cloud Export: Create a cloud export in Kentik to bring in flow logs from an AWS bucket.
- Create Path Health Test: In Kentik's Cloud Performance Monitor, test the health of a path between a VPC and a customer gateway.
- Azure Logging Setup Overview: A summary of bringing flow logs from Azure into Kentik.
- Check Azure Role: Confirm that your role lets you grant needed permissions to Kentik.
- Find Azure Subscription ID: Find the ID for the directory from which to export flow logs.
- Find Resource Group and Location: Find the Resource Group and Location of assets.
- Authorize Access to Azure: Permit NSG Flow Exporter to access your logged assets.
- Specify Azure Resources: Tell Kentik where to find the logged resources.
- Generate PowerShell Script: Get a PowerShell script that sets Azure to export flow logs.
- Configure Using PowerShell: Run the PowerShell script in Azure.
- Specify Export Settings: Specify general settings for an Azure cloud export.
- Validate Azure Setup: Validate a flow log export configuration.
- GCP Process Overview: A summary of bringing flow logs from GCP into Kentik.
- Enable VPC Flow Logs: Enable flow logs on an existing subnet.
- Create a New Topic: Configure a sink for the export of logs to a Pub/Sub topic.
- Create a Pull Subscription: Configure a subscription enabling access to published logs.
- Set Permissions: Allow Kentik to access a log subscription.
- Grant Metadata Access: Enable Kentik to include a cloud export on the Kentik Map.
- Create a Kentik Cloud Export: Bring log data from a GCP subscription into Kentik.
- IBM Logging Setup Overview: A summary of bringing flow logs from IBM Cloud into Kentik.
- Create a COS Service Instance: Create a service instance to use for a logs bucket.
- Create a Bucket: Create a bucket in which to collect logs.
- Authorize Flow Log Creation: Create a service authorization for the creation of flow logs.
- Create Flow Log Collector: Configure a collector resource to write flow logs to a bucket.
- IBM VPC API Key: Get a VPC API key.
- IBM COS Service Credential: Get IBM Cloud Object Storage service credentials.
- IBM COS Service Endpoint: Get a Service Endpoint allowing access to a flow log bucket.
- Create a Kentik Cloud Export: In Kentik's Public Clouds page, create a new cloud export.
- Gather Kentik Information: Gather information needed to deploy a Blueflow agent.
- Create an IBM Cloud VM: Create a virtual server in the same region as a flow log bucket.
- Configure the VM for Blueflow: Set the environment variables needed to run the Blueflow agent.
- Deploying Blueflow on IKS: Run Blueflow as a deployment on an IKS cluster.
Optimize your settings for featured traffic modules.
- Add or Remove Visualizations: Change the visualizations that are displayed.
- Change Visualization Layout: Change the appearance of the display area.
- Site Architecture: Define a site's architecture to optimize visualization of topology.
- Exclude Interfaces from Map: Reduce visual clutter and improve map clarity.
- Adding a View Category: Use Library categories to group dashboards and saved views.
- Add a Dashboard: Add a new dashboard.
- Edit a Dashboard: Edit the settings of an existing dashboard.
- Adding Dashboard Panels: Add a new panel to a dashboard.
- Add Panel From Explorer: Add a Data Explorer view to a dashboard.
- Editing Dashboard Panels: Modify an existing panel on a dashboard.
- Adding Dashboard Navigation: Enable navigation from a panel to another dashboard.
- Add a View Category: Add a category to assign to views in the Library.
- Create a View: Create a new saved view.
- Edit View Properties: Modify the properties of an existing saved view.
- Edit View Query: Modify the query whose results are rendered in a saved view.
My Kentik Portal
- MKP User Activation: Add a user to an MKP tenant.
- Configure Tenant Portal: Define the portal experience for your MKP tenants.
- Add a Tenant: Add a new tenant to your MKP.
- Edit a Tenant: Modify the properties of an existing tenant.
- Add a Package: Create a set of views and policies to assign to tenants.
- Edit a Package: Modify the settings of an existing package.
- Tenant Notifications Access: Access alert notification settings in an MKP tenant portal.
Set up to monitor and query your network traffic.
- Using the Filters Control: Tailor the results shown in tables and graphs.
- Add Data Sources: Choose data sources for a query using the Data Sources Dialog.
- Choosing Query Dimensions: Choose group-by dimensions for a query.
- Using Multiple Dimensions: Use multiple group-by dimensions in a query.
- Setting a Filter-based Dimension: Set a filter-based dimension for a query.
- Using Matrix View: Use Data Explorer's Matrix view type.
- Using Capacity Planning: Create a capacity plan and its interface groups.
- Manage Insights Settings: Configure settings for your organization's insights.
Raw Flow Explorer
- Define a Raw Flow Query: Coming soon.
Optimize traffic to and from external networks.
- Using Traffic Engineering: See how BGP routing changes impact interface utilization.
- Enabling Connectivity Costs: Set up the Connectivity Costs module.
- Connectivity Traffic Calculation: See the cost impact of external traffic.
- Using the Discover Peers Page: Identify remote networks to target for peering.
- Using the Potential Peer Page: See information about an individual potential peer.
Defend against threats to network availability and security.
- Add a Policy: Create an alert policy using the Add Policy page.
- Add a Query-based Policy: Build a time-limited alert policy in Data Explorer.
- Clone a Policy: Create an alert policy by duplicating an existing policy.
- Edit a Policy: Modify an existing alert policy.
- Disable or Enable a Policy: Disable a policy or enable a previously disabled policy.
- Remove a Policy: Remove an alert policy from your organization's collection of policies.
- Policy Templates Access: Access the Policy Templates page.
- Clone a Policy Template: Create an editable policy from a Kentik-provided template.
- Start a Manual Mitigation: Apply mitigation that's not triggered by an alert policy.
- Stop a Manual Mitigation: Halt a currently active manual mitigation.
- RTBH Mitigation Workflow: Create, configure, and deploy an RTBH Mitigation.
- Configuring Flowspec Mitigation: Create, configure, and deploy a Flowspec Mitigation.
- Third-party Mitigation Workflow: Set up Kentik-supported 3rd-party mitigations.
- Cloudflare MT Setup: Configure a mitigation using Cloudflare Magic Transit.
Understand service requirements and performance.
- Enabling CDN Attribution: See cost and performance for CDN traffic.
OTT Service Tracking
- Configure OTT Thresholds: Coming soon.
Kentik Market Intelligence
- Configure KMI: Coming soon.
Install and activate the ksynth agent for Synthetics.
Synthetics App Agent
- App Agent Setup Stages: Overview of App Agent setup.
- App Agent Package Install: Install ksynth using a Debian-based or RPM-based package.
- App Agent Docker Install: Install ksynth using Docker.
- Activate App Agent: Activate an installed instance ksynth.
- Register App Agent: Register a ksynth instance that was installed without a company ID.
Note: The App Agent replaces the Network Agent, which has been deprecated as of December 2022.
Define synthetic tests to monitor performance.
- Add a Test: Coming soon.
- Edit a Test: Coming soon.
- Copy a Test: Coming soon.
- Remove a Test: Coming soon.
- About Transaction Test Scripts: Create a Transaction test from a Puppeteer script.
- Transaction Test Results: See results from a running Transaction test.
Optimize Kentik's ability to fully understand your network.
- Add an Interface: Manually add interfaces and hosts that aren't configured for SNMP.
- Edit an Interface: Edit the settings of SNMP-discovered or manually-added interfaces.
- Remove an Interface: Remove an interface from the Interfaces list.
- View Site Devices: See the devices assigned to a given site.
- Add a Site: Create a new site representing a physical location like a data center.
- Edit a Site: Edit the properties of an existing site.
- Using Interface Classification: Classify the types of interfaces through which traffic enters and leaves your network.
- Configuring Network Classification: Set up to determine traffic direction (inbound, outbound, through, internal).
- Network Directionality Use Case: Find the origin (inside or outside) of traffic.
- Host Directionality Use Case: On a host, distinguish incoming traffic from outgoing.
- Add a Label: Add a new label to your organization’s collection of labels.
- Edit a Label: Modify the settings for an existing label.
- Remove a Label: Remove a label from your organization's collection of labels.
- Label a Device: Apply a label to a data source.
- Remove Label from Device: Remove a label from a data source.
Enrich flow records with additional correlated dimensions.
- Add an AS Group: Create a group to refer to a set of ASes collectively.
- Edit an AS Group: Change a group's name or member ASes.
- Remove an AS Group: Remove a group from your organization’s collection of AS groups.
- Add a Custom Dimension: Coming soon.
- Edit a Custom Dimension: Coming soon.
- Add a Populator: Coming soon.
- Edit a Populator: Coming soon.
- Add a Custom Application: Define an application (based on protocol, port number, IP address, and/or ASN) to associate with network traffic flows.
- Edit a Custom Application: Modify an existing custom application.
- Adding a Custom Geo: Assign countries to custom groups for use in queries.
- Editing a Custom Geo: Modify an existing custom geo.
- Add a Custom DNS Server: Specify the IP of one or more alternate DNS servers.
- Edit a Custom DNS Server: Modify settings for an existing custom DNS.
- Remove a Custom DNS Server: Remove a custom DNS from your organization.
- Verify a Custom DNS Server: Confirm that an IP address works for reverse DNS lookup.
- Adding a Flow Tag: Create a tag to apply to flow records ingested into Kentik.
- Editing a Flow Tag: Modify an existing flow tag.
Share Kentik views publicly or within your organization.
- Internal Share Link: Get a URL to share internally with Kentik-registered users.
- Share by Email: Send a report to specified recipients.
- Share by Subscription: Email a report to recipients on a specified schedule.
- Adding a Subscription: Create a recipient set and schedule report sharing.
- Editing a Subscription: Modify an existing subscription.
- Removing a Subscription: Remove a subscription from your organization.
Access & Security
Add users and control secure access.
- Add a User: Register a colleague as a user within your organization.
- Edit a User: Modify the properties of an existing user.
- Migrating to SSO: Transition from plain authentication to single sign-on.
- Add an Exception Group: Specify a set of IPs and subnets that can access Kentik.
- Edit an Exception Group: Modify an existing exception group.
- Remove an Exception Group: Remove an exception group from your organization.
Additional controls to tailor Kentik for your organization.
- Add or Edit Notification: Create or modify a notification channel.
- Enable or Disable Notification: Disable an enabled notification channel, or vice versa.
- Microsoft Teams Settings: Create a Microsoft Teams notification channel in Kentik.
- OpsGenie Notification Settings: Create an OpsGenie notification channel in Kentik.
- PagerDuty Notification Settings: Create a PagerDuty notification channel in Kentik.
- ServiceNow Notification Settings: Create a ServiceNow notification channel in Kentik.
- Slack Notification Troubleshooting: Check why you're not getting notifications via Slack.
- Splunk Notification Settings: Create a Splunk notification channel in Kentik.
- VictorOps Notification Settings: Create a VictorOps notification channel in Kentik.
- xMatters Notification Settings: Create an xMatters notification channel in Kentik.
- Add a Saved Filter: Create a stored set of filters to apply to a query.
- Edit a Saved Filter: Modify an existing saved filter.
- Add a Pattern: Coming soon.
- Edit a Pattern: Coming soon.
Personalize your Kentik experience.
User Profile Settings
- Manage General Preferences: Specify theme, defaults, and notification preferences.
- Authentication Settings: See Signup & Login on the Setup tab.
- Visualization Color Palettes: Build a custom palette for visualizations.